The Vicious Deep

The Vicious Deep - Zoraida Córdova The Vicious Deep starts out with a guy narrating for a change, which was nice. Not only that, but the voice was amazingly well done – it felt authentic and like what an average teenage boy would really think and say (as far as I know….I am a girl). This debut novel had a lot of great funny, sarcastic moments and lines. I could really visualize all the characters and feel their personalities. But, as I was reading, I felt like the plot was very jumpy. It went from one thing to the next to the next to the next and I didn’t feel like I knew why things were happening or why I should care. I didn’t feel a strong overall conflict that the main character, Tristan, was trying to overcome. I started out loving the voice, the characters, the setting at Coney Island, and the interesting take on mermaids but the plot felt contrived and it just ruined it for me. I found myself forcing myself to finish it by the end. A lot happens in the story as far as events go, but the pace felt slow because I didn’t understand why things were happening. Why does he go to the island??? WHY does he even want to participate in all these events?? I really just didn’t get it. And the content of crude sexual references and lots of strong language was a big turn off for me.This book is also reviewed on my blog Books: A true storyContent: teen drinking/smoking, crude humor and several sexual references, strong language (I stopped counting f*** bombs after 10 or so)I received this book for review from the publisher, Sourcebooks, through NetGalley in exchange for an honest review. I was not told what to say, I was not paid to write this review and all the opinions expressed are my own.